Are you interested in knowing how to start an essential oil business, but you're not sure where to start? If you answered "yes" then you came to the right place. In this article, we'll discuss what steps you should take and what tools you need to start an essential oil business.
Find a Mentor
One of the most important things you can do when you first decide to start an essential oil business is find a mentor. Even better? Finding a mentor who has a few years of experience as a successful business builder.
Most essential oil companies have a hierarchy of builders meaning that each builder is ranked based on accomplishments outlined by essential oil companies, such as dōTERRA.
An essential oil business builder is someone who sells essential oils with the purpose of growing their team, as well as helping others discover the benefits of essential oils. The more people you have on your team, the more likely you're able to find team members who also want to start an essential oil business and advance in rank, thus helping you advance in rank. Essential oil business builders are also referred to as Wellness Advocates.
Invest in Educational Tools
The more you know about essential oils, the better you're able to sell them to others. How else will you convince someone they should use essential oils if you don't know what they are or how they work?
You can learn more about essential oils by investing in an essential oil guide like The Essential Life. This guide provides detailed information on all single and blend oils sold by dōTERRA, as well as an index for looking up over 600 ailments and their essential oil recommendations.
Stock up on Sampling Tools
Sampling tools are an essential part of business building. In order to build your team, you need to sample essential oils to as many people as often as possible. The more people you share essential oils with, the more likely you are to find people who want to join your team.Some must-have sampling tools to start an Essential Oil Business:
- Essential Oil Sample Vials — we have sample vials in 1/4, 5/8 and 1 dram sizes.
- A-Z Oil Usage Guide 10-pack — an A-Z index of over 200 ailments with the top three essential oil recommendations for each ailment.
- Favorites Lid Sticker Book — includes 28+ lid stickers for the most popular essential oils for sampling like Lavender and Peppermint. Fits sample vial and oil bottle lids.
- On-the-Go Sampling Bag — store 35 sample vials and six oil bottles in this compact bag. Small enough to fit inside your bag making it easy to keep samples on you at all times.
Remember, you should only sample essential oils to people around you who are interested in learning more about oils and have agreed to try them out.
Purchase Oil Storage
You will need a lot of storage if you plan on stock piling more common essential oils like Lavender, Peppermint, Frankincense, etc. Depending on your storage needs, we have several storage options in various sizes.
Storage for business builders we recommend:
- Four Drawer Oil Tower — holds 40 oil bottles, size 5ml or 15ml.
- Three Drawer Cabinet — stores 70 (15ml) oil bottles and 54 (5ml or 10ml) oil bottles.
- First In First Out Organizer (FIFO) — stores 180 (15ml) oil bottles and 120 (5ml or 10ml) oil bottles.
Get Some Enrollment Incentives
Small incentives can go a long way in encouraging people to become part of your team and/or enroll in dōTERRA's Loyalty Rewards Program (LRP).
Incentives under $15 we recommend:
- Sample Vial Keychain Pouch — fits 10 sample vials, sizes 1/4 and 5/8 dram.
- Essential Oil Pattern Clutch Bag — holds 12 essential oil bottles, size 5ml or 15ml.
- Small Essential Oil Wood Tray — stores 12 essential oil bottles, size 15ml.
For more help starting your essential oil business check out our blog on Essential Oil Storage for Business Builders.