Are you interested in learning how to make essential oil candles? Maybe you want to make them for yourself or hand them out as gifts? Then you came to the right place! In this article, we'll tell you what you need and how you can make your own essential oil candles.
What Is an Aromatherapy Candle?
Aromatherapy candles are candles made with essential oils for the purpose of providing therapeutic benefits. For example, you can add Lavender essential oil to a candle to help promote feelings of relaxation.
Important Note: Essential oils alone are flammable. Thus, in order to use essential oils safely in candles, you must blend the essential oils into the wax while making your candles. Never add essential oils to an already burning candle.
The Best Essential Oils for Candles
You can add any essential oils you want to your candles. However, we have several suggestions for essential oils that smell great in candles.
Essential oils we recommend for adding to candles:
- Fall Scents — Wild Orange, Cassia, Cinnamon Bark, Cardamom, Cedarwood, Siberian Fir, Black Spruce
- Holiday Scents — Holiday Peace, Holiday Joy®, Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Sandalwood
- Spring Scents — Geranium, Bergamot, Citrus Bliss®, Tangerine, Juniper Berry
- Summer Scents — Lemon, Lime, Grapefruit, Red Mandarin
- Relaxing Scents — Lavender, Balance®, Serenity®, Peace®
How to Make Your Essential Oil Candle
- 1 ½ oz (3 Tbsp) soy wax
- ½ oz (1 Tbsp) beeswax
- ½ oz (1 Tbsp) coconut oil (solid)
- 35-40 drops of essential oils*
- 1 wick
- 2-3 oz jar
*Make a fall scented candle by adding 30 drops of Wild Orange and 10 drops of Cassia.
- Melt all of the solids (soy wax, beeswax, and solid coconut oil) in a double boiler.
- Once the mixture has fully melted, remove it from the heat.
- Stir in your choice of essential oils and blend for 30 seconds.
- Dip the bottom of the candle wick into the melted wax to help it adhere and then stick it to the bottom of the container.
- Keep your wick upright and pour the wax into the container.
- Allow the candle to cool completely. Then, trim the wick to ¼" height above the wax.
- Remember to only burn your candle within sight and away from flammable objects. Keep out of reach of children and pets.
Let us know if you make your own essential oil candles! You can tag us on Instagram at @oil.life or on Facebook @OillifeUT
Carter, E., 2021. How to Make Candles with Essential Oils. [online] Essential Oil Haven. Available at: <https://www.essentialoilhaven.com/how-to-make-candles-with-essential-oils> [Accessed 6 November 2021].